Monday, September 12, 2011

Welcome!

Stay awhile and listen...

I'm Adam. I'm a Southern boy who lives in Iowa City. I'm a 4th yearPhD student in microbiology at the University of Iowa. This is my blog. Dum dum duuuuummmm...

KAPOW! And here we go :)

I like to ride bikes. A lot. Like, a lot a lot. In fact, I gave my fiancee my car and bought a really nice bike to commute with. It's fantastic. I promise. It's a bit hard here in Iowa City for me, though. For the last year I've been commuting in Minneapolis, MN where I was in school. My boss transferred here to Iowa, so I came with him. Long story short, Minneapolis is flat. Like really flat. Almost Florida flat. Iowa City? Not so much... This place is in river country. Hills like WOAH! I'm still adjusting... This blog is a way for me to sort of chronicle my bicycling journey.

Bike culture is fine and dandy and I do enjoy it. Who doesn't like the Tour de France?? It's ok, a lot of people don't either. I happen to love it now that I ride more. I must admit, while I enjoy watching the races themselves, I'm not much of a racer. I really enjoy riding, but I don't want to compete. I just like the ride itself. There is one particular part of biking culture that I do happen to enjoy most thoroughly... BEER!!!

That's right, folks, cyclists like beer. A lot. There's a whole world of cyclists and beer out there. I happen to think it's great. Who doesn't want to take a wonderful cross-town trip on a great sunny day and then finish it up with a cold craft brew? No one, that's who. Not even you naysayers.

That's my other, albeit new, hobby. I make beer at home. That's the other part of what this blog is about. I'm going to chronicle my bike trips and my beer making. I hope you enjoy it. I'm going to review bike stuff, bike shops, bike repair, talk about bike trips and routes, and I'll probably rant about bike safety and my interactions with cars and other cyclists. I'll talk about basic brewing as I'm learning it and show off some of my finalized products. I'm a micro nerd, too, so from time to time expect a bit about science that doesn't necessarily pertain to beer or bikes.

I hope y'all enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Question: I have a bike phobia but love beer; Can I still read this blog?! What do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. JV, everyone from the LARP-appreciation society can read this blog. It'll probably end up being more about beer anyways. I mean, really, beer is awesome.

    ReplyDelete